Monday, October 30, 2017

Chloe & Halle Reveal Tea-Sipping Secrets About Each Other & How They Made Beyonce CryPull Up



What's up, guys? I'm your girl,
Jamila Mustafa, with BET Social and I'm here with-- - Chloe, and we're Pulling Up.
- And Halle. - Skrrt skrrt.
- Skrrt skrrt. That's right, guys! Oh my goodness, so, like myself,
many of you guys at home, we fell in love with your YouTube! Tell us how you got your start. Yes, well we're just two girls
from Atlanta, Georgia, and, you know, we got our start
on YouTube by just posting one day.

- Yeah.
- We had been around town and a lot of people were telling us,
"Hey, you should post YouTube covers!" And we didn't really listen to them,
but one day we were bored and we were listening to
"Best Thing I Never Had" by Beyonce and just decided to record ourselves
singing it and yeah... Yeah, and then we uploaded it
and we were like, so excited with the first 100 views,
we were so very happy and then it just kept racking up
and racking up and then bam! And we kept going at it
and here we are today! Now, your track "Warrior"... [Laughing] It was a part of A Wrinkle In Time what was it like to hear your music
in theaters? Oh my goodness! Getting our first movie placement
with "Warrior" was a dream come true, you know, Miss Ava DuVernay,
she reached out to us when we were actually shooting the visual
for our album The Kids Are Alright and she was like, "Hey, girls,
I want you to write a song for the movie, you know, I'm needing
this, this and this..." And, you know, that's always
our favorite part to put together... Um...

A puzzle piece, you know,
when we see a trailer of a movie and getting the vibe of it and then just
writing something specifically for it. So, we just were really grateful
that we got that opportunity and I remember when we first saw it
in the trailer for the movie, you know, I w-- we saw it in the car
and I just started crying - 'cause I was like-- I never cry!
- She never cries! And I was like, "This is so cool!"
You know, like... - It hit you!
- The fact that we can just be doing what we love
and have these great opportunities, you know, we're really blessed
and we just feel grateful. Have to ask, I know you guys hate it,
but we love it, best Beyonce moment? One of my favorite Beyonce moments
would have to be recently actually, when we were at the Wearable Art Gala and Miss Tina asked us to surprise her
and sing "I Was Here" and she didn't really know,
she knew we would be there but she didn't know we were singing.

So, I remember walking out and she had
like, this surprised look on her face and when we finished the song
she was crying and I don't know,
it was just really special, just seeing her being honored
for her humanitarian acts and, you know, we love her so much so... Alright, so, your album,
it's out, it's here, that's right! Celebration, you ladies look
absolutely beautiful! Who was your music inspiration
for The Kids Are Alright? Oh, yes, so we have so many inspirations
for this album actually. I love Imogen Heap and Tune Yards and Grimes and women who just... You know, do all of their music
from ground zero to, you know, till the full project
and that really inspired my sister and I to take control
and we executive produced this album and most of it was created
in our living room, so yeah...

Yeah, I definitely think this album is
a combination of all our favorite sounds. You know, for me,
jazz has always been a big influence and, you know, we listen
to bass heavy music, we love trap, we love that feeling
of being like, "Hey!" So, we put all of those things
into one melting pot - and I think that makes our songs.
- Mhmm. You know, with so much gun violence
in the school and you guys
just attended the march like, do you really think
that the generation will be alright? I mean, a lot of people are nervous and for those that maybe
are a little weary on if they will be alright, which track on your album
can they go to and really kind of find
that guidance that they need? Yeah, you know, I really, truly feel
that the kids will be alright. I mean, just like, with even the march and the walk out
that the kids did in schools.

This generation,
we're not afraid to raise our voices and we're not afraid to say
what's right and what's wrong and that's what I love about us
and, you know, our parents and the older generations,
they didn't fail us, they just prepared us for this moment
and, you know, it's a crazy, crazy world,
but somehow we're making it positive and we're making change
through our art and using our voices and that really means a lot to me so I really feel like
the kids will be alright. - And in terms of the song...
- Oh! I feel like there's
multiple songs on there! - There's multiple songs!
- The title-- OK, the title track
"The Kids Are Alright", you know, we're just saying like,
the trends, we don't follow it, we're not gonna like, lessen ourselves
or dumb down our minds and, you know, we're gonna meditate
and 'Namaste' - and we're gonna get our lives!
- Get our lives! And so that one, I feel like that's
a general statement for us kids. And also, you know, "If God Spoke",
my sister and I, we wrote that song because what-- if God spoke English,
what would he or she say to us and how would it sound? And so that song is just
about how timing is everything and, no matter what,
that God is always with us - and we'll be OK, so yeah...
- Yeah and then... There's also a song called "Hi Lo"
which is about loving your insecurities, loving your high moments of your life
and the low moments of your life and just learning to embrace them and remember that every moment
that you are going through in life and everything you've been through
is supposed to be for a reason - and it's all supposed to happen.
- Yeah.

- The reason in the season!
- Yeah! OK, girls! Alright, last question, ladies,
before we get into some fun, right? Right now, social media like,
dominates our world like, it doesn't matter what age you are,
you're on Facebook, you're on something, them fingers is doing something
other than texting! How can a millennial, right,
that wants to stay true to themselves and be age appropriate and be--
and be still liked and respected, but also push their business
or just feel free, how should they go about
marketing themselves on social media and getting those followers? Oh, that's a really good question. I feel like the main answer to that
would just... The main answer to that would just
be true to yourself. I feel like people really respond
to authenticity and they see when you're like,
BS-ing them and when you're fake, so just be yourselves, be honest,
be real, tell your story - and have fun, you know!
- I would definitely agree, just have fun, be true to who you are
and you'll see! Alright, ladies, well you guys-- I'm so excited to bump that album,
to support everything that you guys do and to stay on that YouTube channel
for those covers! I cannot thank you guys enough! Thank you so much, Halle,
thank you so much, Chloe Bailey! For Pulling Up! I'm your girl Jamila Mustafa
with BET Social and my girls just Pulled Up!.

No comments:

Post a Comment