Saturday, June 1, 2019

Mini Baja Golden Knights at Clarkson University



(Rock music) [MAN]: It's definitely a lifestyle, I would say. It doesn't have to be, but we have chosen this life. (Music louder) [MAN]: I remember when
I walked in here for touring, and I saw the Baja car in the shop. I said, "Man, that's what I want to do!" It's really just evolved around
everyone wanting to go driving.

Everyone wanting to go racing. In order to get to that point, you have to build the car first. [MAN]: We've been here since 1978. We're a pretty close-knit group.

We have, you know, a captain and pretty much
a sub-team leader, and everybody else kind of falls in. We're pretty much the biggest team --- the biggest SPEED team ---
here on campus, and we have a lot of members. [MAN]: In the beginning of the year, we start off on the computers and we design every part of it. So, like make sure everything fits, make sure everything
works the way we want it to.

Like then the grease
monkey bash and bang happens later after
everything is designed. [MAN]: Everything except nuts, bolts, shocks, and rims and tires is made by us. We're starting to venture
more into new techniques as far as we're working on
our own CB joints this year. Next year, we'll probably
start getting into our own breaks.

So, master cylinders, calipers... [MAN]: We go to two competitions each year and compete with 140 other teams. Usually, the first competition,
we work out some kinks and stuff. We usually get top 40, and the second competition,
we usually dial it in.

[MAN]: There's obviously
things I wouldn't be able to do if I hadn't learned it in class, but I feel that this is as
valuable as my education. (Music ends).

No comments:

Post a Comment